Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Do Black Women Have Interesting Lives???

I read an article the other day regarding the new television show on TNT - don't ask me why - called "HawthoRNe" starring Jada Pinkett-Smith that stated that outside of Jill Scott's HBO series "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" that this "HawthoRNe" series is the first of its kind in 38+ years. Why is that of importance?? What that means is that there have not been a single television program written in the past 38+ years in which an African American, black, negro, person of color, etc. that has been the main character. Not the wife of, or the maid of, or the best friends of, or the girlfriend of, or etc. of, but the MAIN CHARACTER of a television program. This was crazy suprising to me and it got me to thinking . . .Do Black Women Have Interesing Lives???

I know a lot of black women who watch soap operas and mini-dramas and the like-wise and I find it hard to believe that they enjoy not see any representation of themselves on the television. The last television program that was written around a main character that was African American and female was "Julia" starring Diahann Carroll. Now don't even get me started that they are both nurses . . .not that there is anything wrong with African American femamles being nurses. I work at a Community Health Center and have nothing but respect for my coworkers. My concern is the fact that all of the fantastical films pre- and post-historic, outer space, futuristic films that they write and no one can write a full series about a black female who smart, funny and has a life!?!?!? GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

I hope the community supports this program and that it is well written, but once again, it is upone us to provide for ourselves the things that we as a people need and not wait and wait and be dependent on others to give us when we need.

NOTHING BUT LOVE TO ALL WHO HAVE NOTHING BUT LOVE!!!

Shawn

No comments: