Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Do We Still Need Black History Month?

MY FRIENDS

FOR THOSE OF YOUR THAT ARE IN CLEVELAND, I WAS READING THE PLAIN DEALER AND RAN ACROSS AN ARTICLE BY A BLACK MAN WHO SEEMS TO THINK THAT NOW THAT AMERICA HAS ELECTED A BLACK PRESIDENT THAT THE NEED FOR BLACK HISTORY MONTH HAS COME TO AN END.

BELOW IS MY LETTER TO THE EDITOR RESPONSE!! TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!!

I was reading my newspaper during my lunch hour as I do almost every day and was taken aback. One of your writers, Mr. Phillip Morris, who, while I don’t agree with every opinion and article that I have read, I consider to be intelligent, insightful and witty, suggested that maybe its “time to think about canceling Black History Month.” Me being a Black male and witnessing President Barack Obama campaign a most glorious victory to the highest office in the land, I understood how some could come to this conclusion. Needless to say it didn’t sit well with me but read the article and moved on.

Less than 10 seconds after reading Mr. Morris’ article and turning the page to the inside of the Metro Section the headline inside, in the same section reads: “Blacks denied more loans despite higher income”. Taken aback again.

While I don’t believe that Black History Month is the only and complete solution to equality, I do believe that as the future generations look toward their futures, just as Black History can help produce someone like President Barack Obama, they too will believe in obtaining unimaginable heights – Black History, American History, International History or World History.

I love the United States of America and I love being black. Can not one strive, live and be a source of great pride without sacrificing the other? As with any great recipe, all the cook’s ingredients’ purpose is to combine, to enhance and compliment each other. Not one overran by another, but each individual seasoning and spice inside the melting pot doing its part to raise every level of need, desire and longing. Not everyone likes country soul food, Chinese food, Thai or Mexican, but surely there can be enough acceptance and understanding, diversity and love to allow all dishes to be served with the same love, like my mom and yours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES we need BLACK HISTORY MONTH ,I like the way you broke it down to explain the receipe of it , very very nice. Keep the good work up.

Anonymous said...

As long as Jewish people promote their history, Black people should due the same. we should also learn the history of other groups. Everyone is important.